Strategic planning facilitation is best done by a consultant who keeps the team focused and makes sure the process moves forward. An experienced facilitator creates an atmosphere of openness and engages the entire team.
When a Strategic Planning meeting is facilitated by an executive it is usually difficult to get real break-throughs. Old topics get rehashed and prevailing opinions do not get challenged. Tough questions are avoided and ‘group think’ is prevalent. You end up with the same-old ‘strategy’ as the year before. Another document collecting dust on the shelf, and nothing really changed.
Our strategic planning process is particularly well suited for small business. We keep the planning sessions productive by:
- Managing the Strategic Planning process
- Making sure the entire team is engaged
- Preventing anyone from dominating the discussion
- Avoiding ‘short-cuts’ to the process
- Keeping everyone focused
- Ensuring no issues get skipped
- Asking challenging questions
- Challenging the status quo
- Keeping the sessions ‘on topic’
- Testing assumptions
- Providing new insights and perspectives
- Moving the process forward
- Acting as sounding board for ideas
- Assisting with the action plan development
Strategic Planning that Produces Results
Strategic Planning meetings do not have to end up like last year’s.
Properly conducted, Strategic Planning is not a waste of time and money, but a comprehensive process for management to set a new direction for the business. Serious topics are discussed in-depth, leading to better decision making. These decisions are then captured in an action plan, ready to be implemented.
In addition to facilitation, we can become an integral part of the strategic planning team, taking on tasks such as gathering market intelligence, conducting industry and competitor analysis, developing financial models, and evaluating new opportunities.
For more information about facilitation of your Strategic Planning meetings, please contact us.
We’ll be glad to answer your questions.