Facilitating strategic planning meetings is best done by an experienced consultant who can create an atmosphere of openness, engaging the entire team. A seasoned facilitator makes sure that the right questions are asked and that the planning process stays on track.
Planning sessions led by a company executive usually fail to produce breakthrough results. Old topics get rehashed, the status quo does not get challenged. Tough questions are avoided and ‘group think’ is prevalent. As a result, you’re likely to end up with the same-old same-old ‘strategy’ from the year before. Another binder with lots of notes collecting dust on the shelf and nothing really changes.
Strategic Planning Facilitation
Our facilitation process is particularly well suited for small and mid-size firms that don’t have any time to waste. To keep the strategic planning sessions productive we focus on:
- Managing the planning process
- Making sure everyone is engaged
- Preventing anyone from dominating the discussion
- Avoiding ‘short-cuts’ to the process
- Keeping everyone focused
- Ensuring no issues get skipped
- Asking challenging questions
- Challenging the status quo
- Keeping the discussions ‘on topic’
- Testing assumptions
- Providing insight and perspective
- Moving the process forward
- Acting as a sounding board for ideas
- Assisting with the strategic plan development
- Supporting plan execution
Strategic Planning that Produces Results
Strategic Planning, provided it’s done properly, is not a waste of time and money. It’s a comprehensive, structured process for developing a company’s playbook that outlines how the firm will achieve long-term sustainable, profitable growth by outsmarting the competition.
In addition to facilitating the meetings, if needed, we can become an integral part of the strategic planning team, taking on tasks such as doing market research, conducting analysis, developing financial models, and evaluating options.